Saturday, April 10, 2010

Grown-Up Easter Eggs


All of the grandsons are now way too cool to have anything to do with Easter eggs...and don't even mention hiding them and hunting for them. So I had to do it on my own. There are advantages to this! Instead of the little tablets of color, I decided to go natural.

I pressed fresh herbs, parsley, cilantro and chive, onto a wet egg. Then I wrapped onion skins around the egg as tight as I could and dropped it into a piece of new knee-high hose. This was tied off as tight as I could get it. Next, I got my kettle and filled it with lots of loose onion skins, put in the eggs and water and boiled as usual.

This was the result. The yellow is where the onion skin was actually touching the shell, the brown was colored from the onion skin water and the white where the herbs were. I found them to be really pretty but probably not what the kids would enjoy. So it all worked out just fine, thank you. I had a great time!

PS: By the time I remembered to take a picture, this was the only egg left. Some of the others had a much clearer imprint of the herbs.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: