Monday, May 3, 2010

Busy Bee Or Not?


There have lots of these bees on the berry plants. They don't look like honey bees to me but more like bumble bees only smaller. We always have lots of honey bees when the eucalyptus trees are in bloom but that is over and these bees are different. They are black and yellow and very fuzzy. I'll have to do some googling and see what I find.

Remember when we had sets of encyclopedias to go to for information? My folks bought our kids a set when they started school. They poured over those books and had them spread all over the floor. Each letter was a separate book except down at the end, U-V-W-X-Y-Z were in a couple books. There was a yearly update book to capture new information. The kids looked forward to an assignment in school where they were to do research so they could get out all those books...at least until the newness wore off!

Now, we go to the computer to get our information. I'm afraid libraries are going to be a thing of the past. I don't want to read from a Kindle either. I love books. Love turning the pages, checking the inside cover and the blurbs on the back cover. Flipping through for pictures and marking a page by turning down the corner. I don't know if the Kindle has any features like this and I'm not in any hurry to find out.

Now...about these bees...

Here's what I found. There are about 250 kinds of bees. The fuzzy ones are bumble bees and pollinate plants like all bees. They make honey for their own use but don't store it. Their nests are on the ground or in hollow logs or holes in the ground. They are very beneficial and I'm happy they are here.

PS:  I think this might actually be a Bumble Bee Moth. I'm going to do more reading...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment