Friday, March 18, 2011

War on Weeds

So... I have this problem in the spring. Random plants sprout from the ground. I call them weeds but some of them are pretty. Stop and take a look. The Dandelion is a pretty little flower and yet I work hard to get rid of them.

And the Sour Grass, which is some sort of Oxalis, is considered a weed.

The California Poppies get to stay just where they are
.
And the Lupines too. These two are Wildflowers not weeds! Where is the justice in these decisions?

This year I am planted some Milkweed for the Monarch Butterflies. Now... that brings up a whole new problem. I'm now PLANTING weeds? This all brings so much conflict and makes me wonder.

I guess it all comes down to my sense of order. If they are where I don't want them to be, I call them weeds. If I let them be in their selected spot they are wildflowers, and if I plant them from seeds they have special status no matter what their name is! Problem solved... I hope.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment