Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Breaking Free


I was raking one day and while taking off some stuck dry leaves, I noticed it hanging there. I had been using the rake for some time so that gives you an idea of how well they attach themselves. I set the rake by the back door so I could watch it closely and hopefully catch it breaking free. I certainly think it is serendipitous that a Monarch caterpillar found this orange rake a good place to make a chrysalis.

Several days later, I noticed a crack in the clear case and by the time I got back with my camera it was already about half way out.

After a few more twists and turns he fell out head first and was free.

It takes a minute or so for the plasma like liquid to be pumped from the body into the wings. He slowly opens and closes his wings to move the liquid along.

 He sat on the rake for about two hours sunning himself and hardening his wings. And while the sun was still high in the sky he flew away to find his friends or maybe locate a special spot to hang for the night. Have a good life you beautiful big rake butterfly.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment