Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One Tough Manicure

It is time to trim Johnny's hooves again. They need attention every 6 to 8 weeks. I have learned to do it my self just because it is so much easier than scheduling and waiting for a farrier to show up.

The bad news is it is hard on the back! In the summer I let Johnny stand in the running water for a while. This softens up his hooves and makes the job much easier. During the winter if we have had any rain this isn't necessary as the foot get moisture from the ground.

 The tools I use are the hoof pick, a hoof knife, a nipper and a rasp.

Once back in the barn Johnny immediately smells the fresh hay that Hubs went to get while I was finishing up the trim. He knows it is just on the other side and he wants some!

And he was so right. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment