Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Foot

I have been putting this foot thing off for a long time. It hurts and is ugly. The bunion has become more
red and sore recently so I have finally decided it is time to do something.

The surgery is scheduled for May 13 at 9:15. I feel lucky it wasn't 6 am. I have never had any kind of surgery so this is all new to me. Now, I have helped the folks and Ron with some out patient procedures but nothing for myself. The first thing I'm learning is:  It is different when it's YOU. 

I've done all the pre-op lab work and had the physical from my doctor. There is so much to do before this even gets started. The Dr. says, "Oh, you'll do great! You are in great shape." So, I an sure this will be a snap and I will be up and around in no time.

May 12
Tomorrow is the surgery. I am ready to get this over with. We spent the day cleaning the house and cooking some things to have ahead so it will be easy. All the animals are set. I trimmed Johnny's hooves so that won't have to be done for several weeks. We are set on hay and pellets. The cats have enough food for at least ten days and I am sure by then we will make a Costco run to get stocked up again.

It is after midnight on the 12th. I will go to sleep soon. I'm nervous...I just want this to be over.

May 13
I'm up and about ready to go. Let's do it.

I'm back home. That wasn't so bad. My foot looks like a football with a big black boot on it. Doesn't hurt at all. I have to stay off of it except for trips to the bathroom. I see the Dr. on the 18th to check on progress.

May 16
Well...that was 3 days ago!!!  I slept for almost two days. Pain pills every four hours and stomach upset. I felt like hell... and was in no mood to write. I sneaked into the kitchen a few times to get caught up on dishes and to see what was going on. I am now having pain from the dressing rubbing on what I guess is the stitches. The throbbing aching pain is gone. They have the gauze going between my toes too and it is getting sore.

May 18
Today at 11:45 is my post-op visit with the surgeon. Hope everything is ok so I can get this bulky dressing off and be up and around.

Well that went well...NOT. I've been on my foot too much. It is red, swollen and looks like infection could be starting! Oh joy. What a disappointment. At least the bandage is off and not rubbing. I need to stay in bed, elevate the foot with two pillows and ice it several times a day. How could I have been on it too much? I barely went into the kitchen!! And, they are ordering a machine for me that will bend the big toe back and forth so that it won't fuse together. Oh, another thing...did I mention that when I saw the x-rays there is what looks like a big nail in the toe joint, AND it stays there!! Yikes, just the thought make me cringe. That will take some time to accept. Although I really wanted the bandage off, now I can see all those stitches and that really makes my stomach turn over! I am not a good patient. I am keeping a sock on so I can't see the green looking fish line in my foot. Besides, it's cold. I keep thinking about when all those stitches have to come out on my next appointment on the 25th. This is the pits. I hate it and want it to be over!


May 19

Today is Derek's 13th birthday. He is a good and very special kid. I love him so and can't help but wonder what life holds for him. It will be good I'm sure.

My foot looks much better this morning, I kept it up all night on two pillows. I didn't even move...all night. I was in the very same position when I woke up. The redness seems less and swelling is down. I've been the 6 feet to the bathroom once...read my lips...once this morning. Elevate and ice.

Ron decided to do some errands this morning. I think he just wants to get out of here and I don't blame him. He's going to get the oil changed in the car and buy a few groceries. I am not a very patient patient. I am very sad to say that, but it is the truth. This is so much harder than I ever thought it would be. I was not prepared to be confined for days on end in this bed.  I sure hope this will be worth it in the end!

May 25

Back to the Dr. They took the stitches out. It didn't hurt near as much as I was expecting. I worry too much about things like this. I can be on my foot "a little more". When I asked how much more, the Dr said, "Your foot will tell you." He was right about that one. OUCH... I'm mostly in bed.

May 28
The DynaSplint was delivered...a device whose purpose is to stretch my toe upward. I put this torture device on and leave it for 15...20...30 up to 40 minutes, three times a day.  THEN, get this, then I increase the tension.  I'm doing it faithfully because I want this toe to bend, I really do.

P.S.

January 29, 2011
I quit writing about my foot. I was tired of hearing myself whine!  It's been almost 9 months now. The bottom line is this: My big toe doesn't have much movement, it still swells if I try to wear a thong type shoe, and the skin is very sensitive, like water hitting it in the shower hurts like a burn. I do hope with more time that feeling will go away. The rest I think I'm stuck with.

I just try not to think about it and get on with life. I'll tell you one thing, it will be a cold day in you know where before I even think about surgery on my other foot!

 I'm just posting this here after the fact to remind myself... Don't even do that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment