Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hurray For the Volunteers


I have always heard that most trees that come up as volunteers will not produce fruit. Well, I beg to differ with that opinion and have two trees to prove the theory wrong.

Several years ago we had chickens and naturally they got the kitchen scraps. The chickens disappeared one by one. We never found any feathers or evidence as to what happened. We do see coyotes around and so must assume they had chicken dinner. We don't have any more outdoor cats either and I don't even want to think about that! Anyway, where the chicken pen used to be has produced two beautiful volunteer trees; one a nectarine and the other an avocado. The nectarine is just loaded this year. I'm worried that the branches will break. We have been eating them mostly fresh but I may try a tart this coming week. The avocado has a good crop too. We can't identify what variety it is but I know it isn't Hass.

These trees are not in the best spot...but they are where they want to be and they are doing their job. They get to stay right where they are. I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment