Friday, September 4, 2009

Meanwhile...Back at the Pumpkin Patch



I went out today to measure the biggest pumpkin. My pumpkin growing book says to first measure the circumference. Second, measure over the top, side-to-side to the ground. Finally measure over the top, end-to-end to the ground. You add these three measurements together and then go to their handy dandy chart to give you an estimated weight. My three measurements were 94, 56 and 60 giving me a sum of 210 inches. So the chart says it weighs about 220 pounds. It seems big to me, but I know in the giant pumpkin growing world that it is really not very big. Winning pumpkins are in the 800-900 pound range. I hope ours will continue to get bigger. The gophers are pushing up dirt all around, so I wouldn't be surprised if the vine gets eaten or worse yet that they come up underneath and eat the pumpkin. The ones we grew last year were about 330 pounds, so we have some growing to do! It should still grow through September. Let's hope we can break our own personal record.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: