Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another Week

It's Tuesday again and time for the weekly garden pictures. The tomatoes have over grown the straw, so soon we will spread out the last bale. Almost every plant has blossoms and some have little green tomatoes. We have many varieties including some heritage plants.


The green beans are just about to bloom. Once they do it won't be long before we will have wonderful yummy little fillet beans.



I searched all around for signs of little baby snap peas and I didn't find any. I know they will be coming soon. The plants are now close to the fourth horizontal wire. I find that an easy way to check their growth. It is amazing how they wrap their coiling tendrils around the wire. How do they do that? Come on little peas...show us some pods!



The corn is finally showing some progress. I had to replant some of it because it didn't germinate very well and I suspect ghopers ate some seeds. AND... then gophers pulled some of the new sprouts down their holes. They are such pests! But despite it all, I think we will have a good crop and maybe it is a good thing that it won't all be ready to pick at the same time. I can hardly wait until we cook our own corn on the grill.
So, things are looking good. Cucumbers and peppers are coming along well. The beets are almost big enough that I can pick some beet greens. I planted fennel this year for the first time. If anyone knows of special ways to use it, please leave me a note in comments. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment